Registering to Vote
The following options are available when registering to vote:
- Pre-Register to Vote
- Register at the Polls
- Register Online - This only starts the process, you will have to print the application and mail it in with your proof of residence or bring it to the polling place.
Proof of residence is required with every voter registration. The Clerk's Office is not allowed to process voter registration forms without proof of address provided by the voter. In order to register, you must be a resident for at least 10 days prior to the election. If you are registering by mail, please include a copy of proof of residence.
Accepted forms of Proof of Residence include:
- Current and valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin Identification card
- Utility bill issued within the last 90 days
- Bank or credit union statement
- Real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the previous year
- Document issued by a unit of government
- Check issued by a government agency/unit of government
- College fee statement issued in the last nine months, accompanied by student ID card
- Affidavit from a public or private social service agency, on letterhead, identifying an individual who is homeless and indicating where that individual resides. Social Services Agency sample letter for homeless voters registration requirement
- Official Identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin government body or unit
- Identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, which has a photograph of the cardholder, but not a business card.
- Residential lease effective on the day of registration (cannot be used if registering to vote by mail)
Some items NOT accepted include:
- Junk mail
- Credit card offers, etc.
- Insurance documents