Pavement Improvement Program
In 2016, the City of Milton approved the creation of the local vehicle registration fee, commonly referred to as the “wheel tax,” to allow additional financial capacity for road improvements. The funds collected through the wheel tax are placed into a segregated fund that can only be used for maintenance of existing roads.
The City established a Pavement Improvement Program where staff evaluates the road conditions and availability of funds on an annual basis to determine which roads will be improved in the current year. In order to communicate to the public how these funds are being used, this webpage was created and will be updated as projects are scheduled and / or completed.
If there are any questions about the program or the funding, please contact one of the following individuals:
- Al Hulick, City Administrator – (608) 868-6900 ext. 6
- Dan Nelson, Finance Director / Treasurer – (608) 868-6900 ext. 3
- Howard Robinson, Director of Public Works – (608) 868-6914
- November 29, 2016 - Local Vehicle Registration Fee approved by the Council at $30 per vehicle.
- April 2017 - City began collecting Local Vehicle Registration Fee.
- Pavement maintenance was performed on 5.25 miles of roads, or about 16% of the total road miles in the City of Milton, in 2019.
- Streets completed: Front Street, Windsor Court, Storrs Lake Road (from Janesville Street to the City Limits), Rogers Street (from High Street to St. Mary Street), Plumb Street (from High Street to Madison Avenue), Greenhill Drive (from High Street to Larch Lane), Buten Street (entire roadway), Morgan Street (entire roadway), W. Madison Avenue (from Clear Lake Avenue to the City Limits), S. John Paul Road (from High Street to Madison Avenue), and North Street (entire roadway).
- Additional pavement improvements completed (some to be completed spring 2020 due to weather conditions): Public Works Facility driveway and parking lot, Wastewater Treatment Plant parking lot, Milton Cemetery road, Crossridge Park paved trail, Milton Public Library north and south parking lots, and City Hall / Police Station parking lot.
- Cost: $428,431 (includes estimated $143,000 from Local Vehicle Registration Fee)
- Streets completed: Capman Street, Community House Parking Lot, Front Street Alley resurfacing, N. Goodrich Park Parking Lot, and Northside Drive.
- Cost: $244,376 (includes $143,330 from Local Vehicle Registration Fee)
- Streets completed: 2nd Lane, Arthur Drive, Bowers Lake Road, Columbus Street, and Merchant Row
- Cost: $392,037 (includes $109,638 from Local Vehicle Registration Fee)