City of Milton Staffing and Service Updates:
Return to Phase 1 of Reopening Plan
The City of Milton announced on November 17 the decision to return to Phase 1 of the City's Reopening Phased Plan on November 23, which will result in the closure of City of Milton facilities to the public and the closure of the Community House for rentals. The full press release is available on the City's website.
Face Mask Advisory and Face Mask Policy for City Facilities
The Common Council approved a Public Health Advisory recommending the public wear face masks to help slow the spread of COVID-19 at their meeting on July 28, 2020. This is NOT a mandate or an ordinance and therefore not enforceable; however, there is currently a statewide mask mandate in place.
In support of the advisory, the Common Council also approved a policy making it a requirement to wear face masks in City of Milton facilities. The policy defines public facilities as City Hall, Public Works Facility, Police Department, Milton Public Library, and the water/wastewater utility offices. This does not include parks or other outdoor spaces and there is also an exemption for polling locations. If a visitor to one of these facilities doesn’t have a mask, one will be provided.
Both of these documents are available on the City's website:
Contactless Service Options and Operational Changes
Below is a list of physical-contactless service options and some operational changes made by each department.
City Hall and General Updates and Information
- Payments can be placed in the drop box located outside of City Hall/Police Department or mailed. You can also make payments online.
- If a community member needs to pay a bill in cash, please place the payment in the secure, silver drop box and call City Hall at (608) 868-6900 ext. 1 to notify staff.
- Documentation you need to provide to the City can be placed in the drop box outside of City Hall.
- Voicemails left for staff in all departments will be checked on a regular basis and calls will be returned as soon as possible.
- Staff are also available by email. Use the staff directory on the City’s website to find email addresses for staff members.
- All requests for records will be emailed or mailed. If a physical copy needs to be collected from the department, special arrangements will be made.
- Police officers will continue to respond to calls for service. However, in order to both maintain the health of our staff and to prevent potential spread of the virus in the community, officers are going handle as many calls as possible without coming into physical contact with others. Any calls that they can manage by phone, email, or a combination of the two will help to keep all of us healthy. If you need to contact a police officer, please call the non-emergency number at (608) 757-2244. Call 911 if there is an emergency, and you need an officer to respond.
Public Works Department
- The Public Works Department will continue to perform essential services for the community, including, but not limited to, maintaining the City’s water and wastewater infrastructure. Staff are working staggered schedules to help prevent exposure among staff members.
- Refuse and recycling collection will continue as scheduled. Refuse and recycling collection is considered an essential service. If there are any changes to the collection schedule, we will notify residents on our website and social media. The collection schedule is available on the City’s website.
- If you need a building permit, contact the Public Works Department at (608) 868-6914 or (608) 931-8025 or email Administrative Assistant Brenda Mathews at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Milton Public Library
- The library will return to curbside pickup and computer access will be available by appointment only. There will be no browsing of books or materials.
- Patrons are encouraged to place holds either through the online SHARE catalog or by calling the library at (608) 868-7462.
- A limited number of one hour computer timeslots can also be reserved by phone.
- Current hours will not change – Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The book drops will continue to be available at all times.
- The library will continue to be very active online with virtual programming and online videos.
- Audiobooks and eBooks are always accessible through Hoopla and Libby (powered by Overdrive).
- For more information on the services listed above or others, please call the library or visit the library's website at www.miltonpubliclibrary.org.
- Payments can be placed in the secure, silver drop box located outside of City Hall/Police Department or mailed to Milton Municipal Court, 690 S. Janesville Street. You can also make payments online (www.milton-wi.gov/MakeAPayment) or by calling (866) 917-7368.
- Service will be provided through phone calls, mail, or email.
- Court hearings are by phone only at this time per the Chief Judge.
Additional Resources (linked below)
Information about COVID-19 or the coronavirus from the CDC.
Information on the status of COVID-19 in Rock County and resources available.
The guidelines are in accordance with CDC recommendations, DHS recommendations and WEDC Guidelines. Guidelines will help businesses take necessary steps to open and serve customers while keeping everyone safe.
Executive Orders from Governor Tony Evers' Office.
Press Releases from Governor Tony Evers' Office.
Information about COVID-19 or the coronavirus from the Rock County Public Health Department
Dashboard showing the status of the benchmarks in Rock County's reopening plan.
Information about COVID-19 or the coronavirus from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.