Organization & Funding Discussions
On July 15 and July 30, the Joint Fire Commission for the Milton-Milton Township Fire Department heard presentations from Fire Chief Ernie Rhodes and City of Milton Finance Director / Treasurer Dan Nelson about organization and funding options for the fire department. Two scenarios were presented: Consolidation with Janesville or a Standalone Department.
At the Council meeting on August 18, staff summarized the presentations that were given to the Joint Fire Commission. They also answered questions regarding the two scenarios and how those pertain specifically to the City.
At the joint meeting of the City of Milton Common Council and Town of Milton Board on August 19, the two governing bodies discussed the two scenarios that were presented to the Joint Fire Commission. At the meeting, the direction was to continue exploration of consolidation with the City of Janesville.
Discussions on funding and operations of the department continued at the Joint Fire Commission meetings on September 3 and September 24.
Meeting Video on YouTube:
- July 15, 2020
- July 30, 2020
- August 19, 2020 - Joint meeting of City of Milton and Town of Milton
- September 3, 2020
- September 24, 2020
- October 21, 2020
- November 18, 2020
- December 9, 2020 ←NEW!
In The News
- July 15, 2020 - Consolidate or stand alone? Two scenarios presented to fire commission (Milton Courier)
- July 16, 2020 - Fire Commission weighs costs of Milton, Janesville consolidation (Janesville Gazette)
- July 17, 2020 - Our Views: Merge Janesville, Milton fire departments (Janesville Gazette)
- July 30, 2020 - Fire commission has big decisions to make (Milton Courier)
- July 31, updated August 7, 2020 - Joint Fire Commission examines sharing fire costs with towns (Janesville Gazette)
- August 19, 2020 - City, town move in direction of consolidating fire department with Janesville (Milton Courier)
- August 20, 2020 - City, town of Milton lean toward consolidation of fire services (Janesville Gazette)
- September 3, 2020 - How can the fire commission increase pay for firefighters and EMS members making $10 an hour? (Milton Courier)
- September 4, 2020 - Milton Fire Department leaders push for raises to $15 an hour (Janesville Gazette)
- September 8, 2020 - Fire department looks to increase pay for members paid to be at the station (Milton Courier)
- September 15, 2020 - Town of Beloit explores regional partnerships, hiring Janesville fire chief into open role (Milton Courier)
- September 16, 2020 - Town of Beloit, Janesville might share fire chief (Janesville Gazette)
- September 18, 2020 - Our Views: More hope for fire services consolidation (Janesville Gazette)
- September 22, 2020 - Guest Views: City of Beloit should be part of fire discussion (Beloit Daily News published on the Janesville Gazette website)
- September 24, 2020 - Proposed fire department budget includes significant increases for contracted towns (Milton Courier)
- September 25, 2020 - Cost increase of Milton fire, EMS called 'quite shocking' (Janesville Gazette)